Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Bean-town baby!


I second the remarks of Ember, in that despite how "gay" this may be I think it is a tremendously efficient way to stay in the know with one another!

Ember, its great to hear the goings on in your life. I'd like some more details about James if you don't mind sharing. Also I'm so happy you're sharing our ridiculous videos we used to fill some of the rarely quiet moments of 31 Cherry. I still say when Dave gets famous we use the footage as leverage to mooch off his new found celebrity. Congrats on your pseudo marathon running, I'm very impressed! I'm scheduled to run two 10ks this summer, one in Utica (the Boilermaker) and another along the shore line in Maine. Your classes sound great too, far beyond my level of understand but interesting none the less! 

As for me... I suppose creating this thing and only leaving a welcome message defeats the purpose of it, so I'll dish a little about my life. I'm currently in my second semester of school at BU and am loving it more and more everyday. I'm taking four classes this semester and putting in about 20 hours a week at my internship. So far my classes are pretty difficult, but very interesting. I'm learning a lot both in my classes and through hand on experience at my internship. My internship is at a middle school in Charlestown, which is part of the Boston Public Schools. It's a great experience, really challenging and can be like a war zone at time but again I'm learning so much. The school is really diverse and has some great programs for the kids to participate in including sports, theatre arts, and dance classes. I've gotten to know a lot of the kids in the school through helping out with different things all over the school like cheerleading and the school play. The kids seem to like me, which is a pretty big deal in my book given how "lovely" middle schoolers can be. The kids come from all over the city and have some pretty tough back grounds and home lives that provides for a lot of issues through individual and group counseling. Right off the bat I began working with kids for individual counseling, and see them once a week. I think I've made some good progress with the kids and I've seen some really positive change in a lot of them. I've also started to work with students in a group setting, which presents its own set of unique challenges but so far so good. The 7th grade girls I work with are pretty entertaining, we picked a mix of some of the girls who had been involved in the most "drama" in the school so managing the group dynamic has been interesting but they are all really good natured girls who just get a little too boy crazy at times.

Similar to Ember, a social life is somewhat limited given my schedule but I have made some good fiend with the girls in my classes. There are a lot of things to do in the city so I've been trying to explore as much as possible when I can. Thank to a lovely graduation gift from my Oma "The Cheap Bastard's Guide to Boston", I've found some pretty cool restaurants and things to do without going completely belly up. I have been bringing in a little bit of extra money from babysitting for a family with a little boy just under a year. He's not quite as cute as Jack, but he's alright. I'm taking yoga now too, which I love and it's completely changed my idea of what working out should be but I really enjoy it. 

Well I think that's all for now. I look forward to hearing about everyone's everything!

Love always...

Hope aka HEW aka Hef

 

No comments:

Post a Comment